[RESOLVED] Computer hangs and screen blacks out

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
Ifikratis

Re: Computer hangs and screen blacks out

Post by Ifikratis »

Martyson wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:22 pm "How I can be sure that I am not risking losing any or many of my so many add-on installations? Not an easy decision.
Top"

This is the information from step 5 in Debugging Steps:

Delete the following generated folders/files. This will result in any add-ons being removed/disabled.
Yes, so if I decide to do that I will have to re-install them. I would rather do a full uninstall/reinstall in that case..The reason I am asking here is to find a solution through experience or expertise instead of wipping everyhing out. That is my last resort.
Ifikratis

Post by Ifikratis »

After the Repair I still get cursor freezes. However when I got the first screen blackout, I got a DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_RESET message:

Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Ifikratis wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:37 pm After the Repair I still get cursor freezes. However when I got the first screen blackout, I got a DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_RESET message:

Ok,
Now you have a choice.

What did you do?
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
Poppet

Post by Poppet »

Hello Ifikratis

Try this small step first

Delete the Prepar3D.cfg file and the Shaders folder and let Prepar3D generate these again when launched next. This will not effect your Add Ons

A quick way of locating these is to Copy the Text below and Paste them into your windows search bar, One by One and click on the result, this will bring you directly to the correct locations.

Delete the Prepar3D.cfg file

Code: Select all

%APPDATA%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4

Delete the Shaders folder

%LOCALAPPDATA%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4

Then Launch Prepar3D and test

Let us know how you get on
Ifikratis

Post by Ifikratis »

I clicked 'Yes' and came here to find out in the forums what this means and how I can fix it.
Ifikratis

Post by Ifikratis »

Poppet wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:41 pm Hello Ifikratis

Try this small step first

Delete the Prepar3D.cfg file and the Shaders folder and let Prepar3D generate these again when launched next. This will not effect your Add Ons

A quick way of locating these is to Copy the Text below and Paste them into your windows search bar, One by One and click on the result, this will bring you directly to the correct locations.

Delete the Prepar3D.cfg file

%APPDATA%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4

Delete the Shaders folder

%LOCALAPPDATA%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4

Then Launch Prepar3D and test

Let us know how you get on

Thank you very much for the suggestion Elaine. I will try this and follow up here.
Ifikratis

Post by Ifikratis »

I think it works better now. I still get cursor freezes, but it freezes for much less time and so far I haven't got a blackout screen. Have started the sim a number of times so far.. I will report again if the blackout problem comes back. I hope this will solve it. Thank you Elaine.
Ifikratis

Post by Ifikratis »

I also uninstalled my Gigabyte Aorus engine software and restarted the computer after doing repair and what Elaine suggested. I can now report that I have no cursor freezes at all. It seems to work like new now! Really wish it stays like that :D
hermes82

Post by hermes82 »

just out of curiosity what graphics driver are you running, I installed nvidia 416.81 last night and the same thing happened the error reset is identical to 2 previous bad drivers that caused havoc with my gtx970 including black screen needing pc reset, being locked out of my pc and numerous other hardware issues
Ifikratis

Post by Ifikratis »

Hi hermes,

I use the 416.34 Nvidia drivers. Haven't tried the new ones yet.

Right now the problem is completely resolved. While P3D is loading there seems to be no performance impact on my workflow, no mouse freezes, no screen blackouts. P3D is loading completely silently until I see the scenario screen, which is how it should work.
Ifikratis

Post by Ifikratis »

Just out of curiosity, installed the latest nvidia drivers and it is still fine here. Uninstalled using the DDU uninstaller. What seems to solved it in my case was a combination of P3D Repair (thanks to martyson), delete Prepar3D.cfg and Shaders (thanks to Elaine) and uninstalling the Aorus GPU application.