Unable to launch P3D using DVI cable

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
Oats

Unable to launch P3D using DVI cable

Postby Oats » Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:18 am

I've started having an extremely specific issue that I haven't been able to puzzle out on my own.

I recently upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 - the only major change my system has gone through for several months. Previously, I was able to run P3D without any problem. Now, though, whenever I try to launch the application, I get the error message "Invalid Hardware or Driver Detected". The text reads "Prepar3D was unable to initialize the rendering system and will shut down. Please make sure this system has a video card that supports DirectX11 and that the drivers are up to date." No other program that I've used yet has had a similar problem - I can basically play my entire steam library without an issue.

Cue a few hours of me going through the usual troubleshooting steps, including but not limited to a clean reinstall of P3D, a clean reinstall of my display drivers via display driver uninstaller, and a check to make sure DX itself was up to date.

Eventually, following the advice of a post I saw somewhere, I got the program to actually launch by changing the DVI cable I was using out for an HDMI cable. Strictly speaking it works, but I would really prefer to continue using the DVI cable as my monitor is pretty limited on input slots.

Would anyone have a suggestion on how I could resolve this?

Windows 10
P3D v4.5
i7-4790k
8GB RAM
Nvidia GTX 980 (Connected to 1 display)

Oats

Re: Unable to launch P3D using DVI cable

Postby Oats » Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:14 pm

Solution for anyone finding this on their own searches: I was able to resolve the issue by using Nvidia Control Panel to change the scaling setting from Aspect Ratio to Fullscreen, under the "adjust desktop size and position" option.

Return to “Hardware Specific Questions”