Amd gear performance

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
Majk369

Amd gear performance

Postby Majk369 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:21 pm

Hello,
i have recently realised that my performance in the sim is not very good and that it shouldnt be that bad (i think). So i have p3dv4 and i usually fly on vatsim with aerosoft airbus. Other addons include airport sceneries, orbx chaseplane and gsx. Although i thought it was due to the various addons (mostly the airbus) i have tried other default aircraft and i always get hilariously low framerate, especially during landing. And its not only the framerate, i also get constant lags that can make the flying even harder. So i tried to put down the graphics settings like the texture resolution or turning off the AA. Absolutely no change in performance. I have tried to monitor cpu and gpu loads. I have amd fx 8320e and radeon rx 480 sapphire (8gb 256 bit 1.3 GHz). I found out that the cpu load is held around 60 to 70 % but the gpu is mostly 0, then suddenly jumps up to 100 or so and then back down to 0. I have 16 gb of ram and during the simulation its usually around 9 gb of ram usage. I know the pc can run simulators pretty ok, for example it runs fsx:se very smoothly, usually around 30 fps at any time with any aircraft (i do not have any payware addons installed, only some freeware). It also runs other sims like train sim 2020 pretty fine. I am pretty much desperate rn because i was thinking of buying new addons for the sim, but it would not have any meaning to invest in them, if the hardware is not ok. So thats what iam asking, is my hardware capable of running the v4 better? Thanks for any support.

JorgenSA

Re: Amd gear performance

Postby JorgenSA » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:49 am

An issue you have here that could be a cause for this is if your CPU is running at the base clock rate of 3.2 GHz.

If overclocking your CPU is possible, that should help.

You do not mention how much RAM you have, or how fast the RAM is. That could also be an issue.

The GPU certainly has enough VRAM, but I do not know how fast it would be compared to nVidia GPUs.

You might want to look into putting an AffinityMask statement in your Prepar3D.cfg, for calculating the value try googling "affinity mask calculator".

And finally - and this is going to sound contradictory - try limiting your frame rate! This is something you can easily play around with, I would suggest trying it at 40 and see what happens.

Jorgen
System: i7-7700K @ 4.66 GHz, ASUS Z170-A motherboard, 16 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM, nVidia GTX 960 w/ 4 GB DDR5 VRAM, Windows 10 Home.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.

Majk369

Postby Majk369 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:20 pm

Thanks for the reply!
Overclocking the cpu is a good idea, i was always little scared of it but i will definetly try. My ram is 16 GB and gpu clock is 1306 MHz. I already played a bit with affinity mask, maybe i can try a different value. I tried to limit the framerate and it turns out to make the performance very laggy because the pc is trying to hold the framerate but fails really bad. And one last thing that i found out is that during night time flights the performance is always good/decently flyable (thats probably because theres less to render). I wont give up that easily and i hope to get the performance to a flyable level, always.

JorgenSA

Postby JorgenSA » Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:49 am

Actually, with my rig I have the frame rate unlimited in the sim and limited to 30 in the nVidia Control Panel, I don't know if you have such a control panel with an AMD graphics card.

Not sure what make of motherboard you have, but if you have an ASUS motherboard then overclocking is easy. Try to google overclocking with your brand of motherboard and see what comes up.

And, thanks to Blaunarwal, aka Dan, here's a link to my favorite affinity mask calculator:

https://www.gfsg.co.uk/affinitymask.asp ... m=utilties

Jorgen
System: i7-7700K @ 4.66 GHz, ASUS Z170-A motherboard, 16 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 RAM, nVidia GTX 960 w/ 4 GB DDR5 VRAM, Windows 10 Home.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.

Martyson

Postby Martyson » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:02 am

@ Majk369 ,

Just a reminder.

If you have a store purchased PC overclocking could void your warranty.

In fact doing any user maintenance or upgrades could void your warranty.

Not to mention the additional downtime and expense of sending the PC back for repairs.

If you have a user built or upgraded PC you are already an advanced technical user who already knows about overclocking and the risks / costs involved.

I personally never overclock anything.
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell (KDTW)

Majk369

Postby Majk369 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:54 pm

Today I found out something interesting. I was doing an sfc scan and it found some corrupted files which were repaired and for some reason the performance in the sim got much better even with the notoriously low-in-fps aerosoft's airbus. I dont know if it really is thanks to the sfc scan, but I like to think that. If you think that it might make sense, I would like to know.
Regards

Return to “Hardware Specific Questions”