Flight Planner

Other problems or issues not covered by other troubleshooting topics.
sircaptgordo

Flight Planner

Post by sircaptgordo »

The Flight Planner has been broken since about 3 updates ago. I never said anything because I figured you would have fixed by now. I know a lot of people use a 3rd party flight planner and transfer to P3D. But I don't.

I like to make my own flight plans with the Flight Planner. But when you scroll in to start setting intersections the screen either doesn't work or jumps around real bad. You kinda work around it by setting a plan from a distance, but you can't see the intersections.

What I usually do is just make an intersection out in nowhere then you can scroll in a little and squeak out a plan. Then delete way point 1. But it's real hard to get the path to line up with the runway.

I did a search, but can't imagine no one else has mentioned this. I've used this Flight Planner for years in almost every MSFS, Steam MSFS and now P3D V4.

Can someone fix this, please??

thanks
g
downscc

Re: Flight Planner

Post by downscc »

I recommend you detach your attachment to the default flight planner, it will never be more than just a toy when working.

SimBrief on-line is free and exports flight plans almost seamlessly to all versions of P3D. It allows you to select a route or create custom ones and it is about as good a planner as you can get for nothing (contributions welcome of course).
Dan Downs
KCRP
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Another free planner:

LittleNavMap:

https://albar965.github.io/littlenavmap.html
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
sircaptgordo

Post by sircaptgordo »

Guys, I know about all the flight planners. I'm not interested in them, but thanks. When it works right it takes 2 minutes or less to make a plan. I only need about 2 way points as my flying has no FAA rules. Unless there's mountains involved as far as the # of way points.

I play through Air Hauler 2 and make a lot of flights when I play. The Flight Planner has all my information stored through AH2 and all I have to do is make a few way points and I'm off. If the airport is any size or has ILS, just make a line out to the second preset intersection and then a 10 mile path at 45* angle and you're done most of the time.

Like I said though, thanks for the reply
g
downscc

Post by downscc »

sircaptgordo wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:17 pm I play through Air Hauler 2 and make a lot of flights when I play. The Flight Planner has all my information stored through AH2 and all I have to do is make a few way points and I'm off. If the airport is any size or has ILS, just make a line out to the second preset intersection and then a 10 mile path at 45* angle and you're done most of the time.

Like I said though, thanks for the reply
g
Sure, perhaps one of these days you may become more interested in aviation and piloting skills rather than just using this platform as a game we will be able to point you in the direction of more realism.
Dan Downs
KCRP
sircaptgordo

Post by sircaptgordo »

I used to play more like real life back in the day. And I got the Dash 8 where you have to do a lot real life stuff just to be able to fly. I haven't flown it in a while though.

At 70, I'm just happy with simple flying and like you say playing as a financial game. Which I also play a lot of different financial games along with racing games. Actually all types of games, depending on my mood ......ha.

I just wish they would fix this Flight Planner as there's other people like me. Plus how did they even break it ......

thanks, enjoy
g
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

sircaptgordo wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:52 am The Flight Planner has been broken since about 3 updates ago. I never said anything because I figured you would have fixed by now. I know a lot of people use a 3rd party flight planner and transfer to P3D. But I don't.

I like to make my own flight plans with the Flight Planner. But when you scroll in to start setting intersections the screen either doesn't work or jumps around real bad. You kinda work around it by setting a plan from a distance, but you can't see the intersections.

What I usually do is just make an intersection out in nowhere then you can scroll in a little and squeak out a plan. Then delete way point 1. But it's real hard to get the path to line up with the runway.

I did a search, but can't imagine no one else has mentioned this. I've used this Flight Planner for years in almost every MSFS, Steam MSFS and now P3D V4.

Can someone fix this, please??

thanks
g
Which P3D version are you using now (e.g., 4.xx xxxx)?

Could you do a short video to show the problem(s)?
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
sircaptgordo

Post by sircaptgordo »

I have version 4.5. I don't think I have a way of making a video of the problem. Unless Windows 10 has a video recorder I don't know about. I'll check.

All you have to do is open the Planner and scroll in where you can see everything pretty good and try to set a way point. If you are way in the line won't even move. If you are about 3/4 the way out from opening, you can move the line. But the screen moves the line way higher than where you want. Then drops back down when you let go to the airport.

Now realize when I open the Planner it already has a direct route between airports. As I'm using Air Hauler 2 and it transfers where I'm going, parked, time of day, etc. It worked fine until the last 2 or 3 updates. And like I said I've used it with AH2 with Steam FSX, FSX and now P3D.

If you are at where it opens you can move the line pretty good except you can't see any intersections, just airports. So you can't line up an ILS or even to the runways as you can't see them.

thanks for any help
g

i see there is a recorder, I'm on youtube seeing how to work. I'll try and add if I figure everything out.
sircaptgordo

Post by sircaptgordo »

I made 2 videos, but neither work. It shows me opening the flight planner. But it never opens on the video. It grays out some of the stuff and shows me moving my mouse around when I was changing the route of the flight plan. It just stays on the front screen like the other screen is behind it, but you can see my mouse. On both videos ........ ha

Plus it wouldn't let me edit my above post to post this. Guess you only get 1 edit.

g

I just tried it without AH2, setting a plan from just P3D and it still didn't work. Just to make sure ............

Now, once in a while it works, but far & in-between though ..................
freddy_

Post by freddy_ »

I concur with sircaptgordo. I am running P3Dv4.5 with Hotfix. The Flight Planner is painful. Like sircaptgordo, I just want to create a basic flight plan and fly. I don't want to go through the full SimBrief or other third party flight planner steps. All I want is to create a quick flight plan and make minor adjustments to it as necessary, dragging the magenta line on to a VOR or an intersection as required for whatever reason. However, when dragging that magenta line, the built-in Flight Planner does everything sircaptgordo said. Either the map itself moves, or the magenta line does not drop on to your chosen waypoint (instead it drops just beneath it, creating a "WP1", as opposed to connecting directly to the VOR or intersection that your mouse is hovering over). Different zoom factors produce different results. It seems the more you are zoomed in, the worse/harder it becomes to drop the magenta line on to the desired nav point. Surely the good folks at Lockheed Martin can reproduce this, even without seeing a video. Just make a flight plan, in the default Flight Planner, and attempt to move the magenta line on to a nav point on the map (VOR, intersection, NDB, etc).
Jason210

Post by Jason210 »

Has anyone noticed if this has been fixed in version 5?
jhkaye

Post by jhkaye »

If using the flight planner in P3DV5 (including hot fix) I realized that I had to select either VFR or IFR before being able to drag the flight plan line to the waypoint I wanted to add. The flight planner had my route direct from KPSC to KYKM, and I wanted to add the intersection DONNY. After selecting VFR this worked.

Jim Kaye
MTN1794

Post by MTN1794 »

After the hotfix for P3D v5 is anyone else not seeing the nav log details anymore? It used to list distances and such. Now it's a blank. I have other means of figuring this out, but it sure is convenient when it works.
jhkaye

Post by jhkaye »

Do not know about the log as I have not used it, but under Analysis, Flight Analysis there is a lot of useful information available in P3DV5 - HF1 about the flight.

Jim Kaye