Default Airports in P3Dv5

For all topics that don't fit into another category. Note that we cannot promise that any of these posts will be responded to by our development team.
Martyson

Re: Default Airports in P3Dv5

Post by Martyson »

@ pracines ,

Have you purchased P3Dv5.1HF1 and MSFS [2020] ?
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
Ray Proudfoot

Post by Ray Proudfoot »

Kaiii3 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:26 pm Make sure you report Airports with faulty/missing data with detailed information:
  • Airport Name and Code
  • What needs to be changed
  • Add maybe some images as well
No developer has the time to check 24000 Airports in the world, so they base their work on provided data. In it seems that in case of v5 this data was not as good for some regions as it was in FSX.

The Airports I reported with the above informations were fixed in HF2 (not to fully reallife matching of the airport, but it is getting closer).
Kaiii3, I take your point about providing info but this would turn into a massive topic over months if not years.

Today I decided to locate to Porto, Portugal - LPPR. The default airport had 5 gates, 5 ramp positions and a fuel box. So I searched AvSim library for replacement AFCADs and found one for FSX, 6 years old. It gave me over 50 gates and ramp positions. But doing this for v5 and its many airports is hardly practical.

Whatever process Microsoft managed for FSX 16 years ago must be achievable now given LM’s resources. This aspect of P3D is very disappointing when so much has been improved elsewhere.

Is there not a process that can scan satellite images of airports and use that as a basis for AFCADs?

Can @Max Perry provide an update on what, if any, progress has been made?
Ray (Cheshire, England).

System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K o/c to 5.8GHz, Nvidia RTX 4090 24Gb, 32Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, Asus ROG STRIX HERO mobo, Crucial T700 4Tb SSD, Win 11 Pro, BenQ 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One Yoke
Kaiii3

Post by Kaiii3 »

Ray Proudfoot wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:35 pm Is there not a process that can scan satellite images of airports and use that as a basis for AFCADs?
ASOBO did that for MSFS and the results are sometimes even worse then the "missing" data for P3Dv5......
Ray Proudfoot

Post by Ray Proudfoot »

Kaiii3 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:28 am ASOBO did that for MSFS and the results are sometimes even worse then the "missing" data for P3Dv5......
I don’t have MSFS so can’t comment. If taxiways and runways can be accurately modelled I fail to understand why the same can’t be done for parking positions.

I have pointed out to LM in another topic about misplaced taxiway signs and they acknowledged that and confirmed it would be corrected. But are they working on additional parking positions in a future point update? It’s all gone very quiet.
Ray (Cheshire, England).

System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K o/c to 5.8GHz, Nvidia RTX 4090 24Gb, 32Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, Asus ROG STRIX HERO mobo, Crucial T700 4Tb SSD, Win 11 Pro, BenQ 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One Yoke
Kaiii3

Post by Kaiii3 »

if you can provide good OSM Data (or point them to it), LM will try to upgrade the airport. I requested some airports already and they go an update within the Sim :)
Ray Proudfoot

Post by Ray Proudfoot »

I worked out OSM = Open Street Map. 😉

I’m not sure how to link to the zoomed in image of the airport.

LPPR, Porto, Portugal.

https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/13802 ... 05/-8.6815
Ray (Cheshire, England).

Ray Proudfoot

Post by Ray Proudfoot »

Today I flew from a 3rd party San Francisco to default Fresno, CA. This is classed as an international airport so I would expect there to be plenty of gates.

It turns out there were just five. FIVE! This is just not acceptable. If the runways and taxiways can be accurately modelled why can’t enough gates be provided. When you have AIG Ai flight routes for this airport all the gates were occupied so I couldn’t park my aircraft.

I trust the delay in another point release being issued is because LM are adding parking positions for the many airports in v5 that are currently lacking them. What’s the point of modelling an airport if you only add a token number of parking positions?
Ray (Cheshire, England).

Sabre57

Post by Sabre57 »

Ray Proudfoot wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:32 pm Today I flew from a 3rd party San Francisco to default Fresno, CA. This is classed as an international airport so I would expect there to be plenty of gates.

It turns out there were just five. FIVE! This is just not acceptable. If the runways and taxiways can be accurately modelled why can’t enough gates be provided. When you have AIG Ai flight routes for this airport all the gates were occupied so I couldn’t park my aircraft.
I agree with you Ray. IMHO the priority for the accuracy of a flight sim should be along the lines of:

1. Flight model
2. Weather model
3. ATC/Procedures
4. Airports
5. VFR scenery
6. Everything else
I9-9900
32GB RAM
RTX 3090 FTW
Assorted SSDs and HDDs
3x55" TVs
Alpha/Bravo Honeycombs
SPAD.Next, ASV6
ahuimanu

Post by ahuimanu »

Ray Proudfoot wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:32 pm Today I flew from a 3rd party San Francisco to default Fresno, CA. This is classed as an international airport so I would expect there to be plenty of gates.

I trust the delay in another point release being issued is because LM are adding parking positions for the many airports in v5 that are currently lacking them. What’s the point of modelling an airport if you only add a token number of parking positions?
I too was dismayed at the serious regression v5 brought in terms of airport parking although I do acknowledge that most other aspects of airports were brought up to date. My real concern for Prepar3d is the drought of 3rd party interest in the sim, the relative silence of the developers (not sure what they presented at the recent expo), and this time between point releases you discuss.

There are aspects of P3D I still prefer and I am deeply invested in the platform.

I am developing a fear that the product will go into neglect, followed by abandonment.
Ray Proudfoot

Post by Ray Proudfoot »

@Sabre57, are there no circumstances that can elicit a response from LM? I’d put Airports higher because without them we don’t really have a sim.
Ray (Cheshire, England).

Sabre57

Post by Sabre57 »

Ray Proudfoot wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:04 pm @Sabre57, are there no circumstances that can elicit a response from LM? I’d put Airports higher because without them we don’t really have a sim.
Ray, Unfortunately, probably not. It wouldn't surprise me if there's a lot more communication between LM and their big commercial customers.
I9-9900
32GB RAM
RTX 3090 FTW
Assorted SSDs and HDDs
3x55" TVs
Alpha/Bravo Honeycombs
SPAD.Next, ASV6
Ray Proudfoot

Post by Ray Proudfoot »

I still have P3D v3.4 installed so decided to check what the parking positions are at KFAT in this version.

There are 13 gates and 15 parking positions making a total of 28. Compare that to 5 in v5.

Clearly something has gone very wrong in v5. This is not a request for support. It's pointing out deficiencies in the latest version.

When you add this to the fault where default buildings in v5 at many airports do not appear until Scenery Complexity is set to Very Dense compared to Sparse in v4 and v3 there are clearly significant issues that need redressing. I hope this is enough to elicit a response from LM.
Ray (Cheshire, England).

Ray Proudfoot

Post by Ray Proudfoot »

My earlier post complained about only 5 gates, 5 ramps and 1 fuel box at LPPR - Porto, Portugal in v5.

I checked v3.4 and there are 6 gates and 23 parking positions at LPPR. Another instance of far fewer parking positions in v5. Why not just use the AFCAD files from v3 in v5? I'm guessing you still have the original files stored somewhere safe.
Ray (Cheshire, England).

Ray Proudfoot

Post by Ray Proudfoot »

I asked owners of P3Dv4 to check how many parking positions there were in that version for KFAT and LPPR.

They confirmed they are very close to the v3 numbers. One user also confirmed LSGG and LSZH also had far fewer.

So this problem has started in v5.

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/6099 ... ame-in-v4/
Ray (Cheshire, England).

Martyson

Post by Martyson »

April 2020
P3Dv5 started globally reviewing airport data, updating airpors and adding slopped runways.
It has been ongoing with P3D v5 Updates.

https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopi ... 6&t=136987
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)