Wakes not showing in V6

Discussion related to Mission design and creation.
jgnoci@gmail.com

Re: Wakes not showing in V6

Post by jgnoci@gmail.com »

agfreeman, thanks for all the info. I am suspecting that the lack of wake may be due to a graphics card deficiency. I am running Prepar3D on a high performance lap top NVIDIA GeoForce GTX 1660 Ti, and as mentioned before, all is well in V5, so I assumed the Graphics was good enough. I have on V6 occassionally received an error indicating that 'NVIDIA GeoForce GTX 1660 Ti with Max Q-Design stopped working due to DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG' but have been able to continue.
So my question is whether it is possible that the lack of wake may be due to a Graphics Card deficiency (noting that I do get smoke/ spray and everything else displayed without a problem)
jgnoci@gmail.com

agfreeman Thanks for all the info. I am starting to ask the question whether no wake can be due to a graphics card limitation (noting that with the same card, (1) wakes are displayed correctly in V5, and (2) in V6 I am seeing all scenery, water effects, spray and smoke generated by Effects file.
I am running Prepar3D on a high performance laptop, NVIDIA Geoforce GTX 1660 Ti. I have on occasion received a warning "NVIDIA Geoforce GTX 1660 Ti with Max-Q Design stopped working due to DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG' but have been able to continue. I have never had this warning on V5.
So in essence, can a graphics card 'deficiency' result in no wakes?
agfreeman

Post by agfreeman »

You card sits well within the minimum requirements. https://www.prepar3d.com/product-overvi ... repar3d-v6

I have a 12GB RTX3060 but using nowhere near 4GB of VRAM at that point in the flight, and as everything else works I'd suspect you'd have issues elsewhere first.

A few things I'd try first:

Have you applied the latest patch file?

Is Windows fully up to date and all optional updates installed?

Is your graphics driver fully up to date? If not try doing a clean install, and only install the base driver (and make sure it is the game ready driver).

I haven't got any NVIDIA bloatware installed.

If it is up to date, or if if you have to update it, I'd be very tempted to delete the shader files:

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=138321

Failing that, you could also try something, to quote one of the LM team "you can try running the "Delete Generated Files" script in the Prepar3D installation directory. This will reset Prepar3D to its default configuration but can also impact installed add-ons. You may need to reinstall or reconfigure add-ons after running this".
jgnoci@gmail.com

agfreeman, thanks again for all the support. I did have the latest patch installed and windows up to date. What I have now done is update the graphics driver (as you suggested) and after that I have wakes! So what changed between V5/V6 that relied on that I will never know, but at least we can progress from here.
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

jgnoci@gmail.com wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 2:55 pm agfreeman, thanks again for all the support. I did have the latest patch installed and windows up to date. What I have now done is update the graphics driver (as you suggested) and after that I have wakes! So what changed between V5/V6 that relied on that I will never know, but at least we can progress from here.
Hello jgnoci ,

Which driver was not working in P3Dv6?

Which driver is now working in P3Dv6?
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
jgnoci@gmail.com

I did not update anything Prepar3D specific. I upgraded the driver for the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti graphics card in my laptop and that sorted the issue
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

jgnoci@gmail.com wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 4:10 pm I did not update anything Prepar3D specific. I upgraded the driver for the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti graphics card in my laptop and that sorted the issue
Hello jgnoci ,

Which Nvidia driver version number was not working in P3Dv6?

Which Nvidia driver version number is now working in P3Dv6?
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
jgnoci@gmail.com

Apologies Martyson, I misunderstood the question. I unfortunately did not make a note of the driver version that was not working, but it was a version from 2021. The one that is working is GeForce Game Ready Driver Version 536.67 Release date 07/18/2023