Autogen Vegetation disappeared on V6

Discussion related to terrain/scenery design.
Irno590

Autogen Vegetation disappeared on V6

Post by Irno590 »

Hi, I have P3Dv6 Personal version 6.0.35.31017 including the SDK, can you confirm that the Dynamic Trees not works on V6? When I purchased the V4 and V5 the trees moved with the helicopter rotors flow or with the wind, now are come back ugly and square trees like versions before v4. The AUTOGEN_VEGETATION_TYPE= value has disappeared from the CFG and even if you put it back with value '1' nothing happens. I know a lot of people don't care but I'm a helicopter user and developer and this Autogen was really, really cool. I hope some of you know a way to add them back
perficad

Re: Autogen Vegetation disappeared on V6

Post by perficad »

I'm interested in this also. The autogen vegetation is very old looking, it reminds me of Windows 98 PC games!

I was curious to hear if Orbx Terra Flora trees work as a replacement? But from what I understand they don't work at all in V6? Can anyone confirm? If they do I will buy them.
Rogen

Post by Rogen »

Well, patch update 6.1.9 includes the following configuration option

Added AUTOGEN_TREE_LOD_BIAS=1.000000 configuration option in the Prepar3D.cfg file. Setting the values under 1.0 will improve the performance of 3D trees at the cost of visual clarity; setting to 0.0 will disable 3D trees.

Why not give it a trial to disable the 3D trees and report how you get on.

The Terra Flora v2 trees are pretty good, even better after I managed to have Orbx resolve missing tree textures in the release. Yes they are not speed trees that react in the wind, but they are a whole lot better looking overall.

Do the speed trees still revert to billboard types at altitude ?

Pic of Terra Flora v2 trees.

And the Orbx HD buildings also are pretty good too.

Really though these are things LM should be doing for their base scenery, given it's so far behind the times it's not at all funny anymore.

Even the now defunct Flight Sim World included Orbx Base textures, True Sky, A2A's Accu-Feel and much more to round out the base install of the sim and raise the bar so to speak...

Allas I think the ship may have sailed for LM on this one, I mean yeah they still have their mil customers, but everyone else is moving on.

Cheers
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Hi Rogen ,

Do you use P3D 6.1 Patch 3 for your testing?
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
Rogen

Post by Rogen »

Martyson wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:25 pm Hi Rogen ,

Do you use P3D 6.1 Patch 3 for your testing?
I don't actually have v6, it just doesn't tick enough boxes to become my goto sim platform.

And LM's complete silence on future direction doesn't inspire any confidence that LM are intending to raise the default bar.

Cheers
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Irno590 wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 8:52 am Hi, I have P3Dv6 Personal version 6.0.35.31017 including the SDK, can you confirm that the Dynamic Trees not works on V6? When I purchased the V4 and V5 the trees moved with the helicopter rotors flow or with the wind, now are come back ugly and square trees like versions before v4. The AUTOGEN_VEGETATION_TYPE= value has disappeared from the CFG and even if you put it back with value '1' nothing happens. I know a lot of people don't care but I'm a helicopter user and developer and this Autogen was really, really cool. I hope some of you know a way to add them back
Hello Irno590 ,

Notes:
I use Orbx Global Base in P3D4 and P3D5
Orbx is not supporting P3D6 at this time.

I did a quick test and the trees move with the wind using:
P3D 4.5.14.34698 (HF3)
P3D 5.4.9.28482
P3D 6.1.11.31619 (patch3)

General information:
If you have any P3D requests you can post them here:
P3D Feature Request:
https://prepar3d.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=6317
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)