Inland water - Terrain.hlsl, terrainstatic hlsl etc /p3d6.11

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
N7155N

Inland water - Terrain.hlsl, terrainstatic hlsl etc /p3d6.11

Post by N7155N »

Unfortunately, there is a bug in the shaders which morealess makes all water aerodromes unusable. When placing an aircraft on a lake or river, we are facing waves like on the atlantic using higher water effects, with zero effects its shiny like a mirror.

I have been able to remove the foaming on inland water by altering the value in the terrain constants. As far as the ripples are concerned, it is my view that the algorithm just detects water presence, and treats them independent of the land class. Therefore, we basically get the same wave effect in high settings for inland water as in oceans. The shoreline waves effect can be easily switched off through the effects, thats not the issue, the problem is related with the scaling effect inside the shader.

So I think a comparitevly easy fix would be to change the terrain shader by a) making a simple diffentiation between the land classes for shallow inland water like lakes and rivers, and b) just introduce a lower multiplier for the ripple for these land classes.

The reflectiveness seems to be controlled by scattering - I assume that the UE4 single layer water model is being followed . I see this in the shader calculations. But fiddling with this is difficult without being able to track and trace what is going on in the background.

I don't see why this cannot be addressed within a recent time frame ;-)