Restarts and Freezes

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
samantha

Restarts and Freezes

Post by samantha »

Every time I launch the simulator, it runs smoothly for a few minutes, but then my entire computer suddenly restarts without any warning. I've checked my system's temperature and hardware components, but everything seems to be functioning within normal parameters. I've also tried reinstalling Prepar3D and updating my drivers, but the issue persists. This constant restarting is disrupting my flights and causing frustration. Any advice on how to diagnose and fix this unexpected behavior?
Wordle Unlimited
JorgenSA

Re: Restarts and Freezes

Post by JorgenSA »

Is this behavior only happening with P3D, or does it happen with other applications as well?

If it also happens with other applications, then treat it as any other "Windows suddenly restarting" issue, which is outside our scope of support.

I do not mean to sound unhelpful, but if you are to run P3D, then Windows needs to run OK before you attempt it.

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
Capt_Caveman

Post by Capt_Caveman »

You might want to run a cpu/gpu stress test to rule out a hardware issue.

p3d is very cpu intensive, more than most games or software i ever used.

If there is a weakness in your pc, p3d WILL bring in out while other games or software still run fine.

also, have you checked the windows event viewer for errors ?
i5-3570K @ 4.4 GHz, ASUS P8Z77-V LK, Gskill 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, EVGA Gtx-1070 8 Gb, Windows 10 Pro
bullfox

Post by bullfox »

I had a similar problem with one of the aircraft I like to fly, The Bombardier CRJ. Turns out that if I don't start it correctly the CPU goes to 100% and stays there until it overheats, throttles itself back, frame rates will drop below 1 per second, and eventfully the sim crashes. This is with the latest version of P3D6, which in my opinion is nevertheless great.

I diagnosed the problem by activating a CPU and GPU utilization monitor which revealed the CPU going to 100% utilization and staying there. I now use a simplified procedure for starting the CRJ at the gate and it works without problems. The CPU occasionally hits 100% utilization but doesn't stay there. It mostly varies between 40% and 80%. the GPU frequently hits 99%, but mostly runs around 60% to 80%. It varies a lot more than the CPU. They both sometimes drop really low, as if, there I'm done with that job, now what's next. I'm running with very high settings, but have frame rates set to 30 fps to reduce the heat load. Its very smooth at 30 fps until I try to fly into Midway airport in Chicago or JFK in New York when frame rates can drop into the high teens.

I also started using Active Sky for P3D6. I discovered with Active Sky that if I mess with the weather settings too much the system will eventfully crash. I think of it as the system loosing track of what its supposed to be displaying. Maybe one setting field overflows from being written to too much. Rex Weather Force doesn't seem to have the same problem, or at least not as much.

Those are the only examples I can think of where the system would crash without producing an error message of some sort. If you are running out of ram or some other problem you would normally get an error message at least partly explaining what's going on. So I hope the above helps, at least a little.

g
 Ryzen 7 5800X3D liquid cooled, over clocked on auto to 4.5 ghz, XFX 6900XT Black, 2 tb M2 drive, 32 gb ddr4 ram, Asus Hero Crosshair VIII mother board running P3D6.19 in Win 10