Airport Design Editor

For all topics that don't fit into another category. Note that we cannot promise that any of these posts will be responded to by our development team.
bullfox

Airport Design Editor

Post by bullfox »

I am looking for a trustworthy source from which to download a copy of Airport Design Editor. I would appreciate any recommendation given.
 Ryzen 7 5800X3D liquid cooled, over clocked on auto to 4.5 ghz, XFX 6900XT Black, 2 tb M2 drive, 32 gb ddr4 ram, Asus Hero Crosshair VIII mother board running P3D6.19 in Win 10
shermank

Re: Airport Design Editor

Post by shermank »

Here's the link from its designer, Scruffy Duck

https://www.scruffyducksoftware.com/air ... ign-editor
Sherm
bullfox

Post by bullfox »

Thanks Shermank, I had gone to the Scruffy Duck software page yesterday but couldn't get anything to download so though the links were broken. With your recommendation I tried one more time. Still no luck. So followed the support link to FS Developer website, and searched for Airport Design Editor. Found a link to page that reported problems downloading ADF with Chrome. Followed their advice and got ADE to download and open. Thanks Again!

I have been downloading some add on airports that work in P3D5 but in P3D6 there seem to be a few problems with exclusions of stock airport buildings. I'm hoping to use ADE to fix those problems.
 Ryzen 7 5800X3D liquid cooled, over clocked on auto to 4.5 ghz, XFX 6900XT Black, 2 tb M2 drive, 32 gb ddr4 ram, Asus Hero Crosshair VIII mother board running P3D6.19 in Win 10
shermank

Post by shermank »

Good luck…glad you got it. I am not much of a techie and have never tried ADE…
Maybe this will be some inspiration..

OTOH,
If you ever feel inclined to do my home airport KUGN….😉
danking66

Post by danking66 »

bullfox wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:52 pm Thanks Shermank, I had gone to the Scruffy Duck software page yesterday but couldn't get anything to download so though the links were broken. With your recommendation I tried one more time. Still no luck. So followed the support link to FS Developer website, and searched for Airport Design Editor. Found a link to page that reported problems downloading ADF with Chrome. Followed their advice and got ADE to download and open. Thanks Again!

I have been downloading some add on airports that work in P3D5 but in P3D6 there seem to be a few problems with exclusions of stock airport buildings. I'm hoping to use ADE to fix those problems.
ADE doesnt work in v6, and the author has decided not to update it. I think we got lucky with SODE, but this is disappointing.
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

A quick quote: "the author has decided not to update it" - no, the author has actually retired.

And that was a while ago, the ADE version that supports v. 5 was left in beta.

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
Sabre57

Post by Sabre57 »

JorgenSA wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:53 am A quick quote: "the author has decided not to update it" - no, the author has actually retired.

And that was a while ago, the ADE version that supports v. 5 was left in beta.

Jorgen
It works pretty good for v5. Has a few quirks. Several folks have volunteered to keep working on it but the author hasn't responded to the requests.
I9-9900
32GB RAM
RTX 3090 FTW
Assorted SSDs and HDDs
3x55" TVs
Alpha/Bravo Honeycombs
SPAD.Next, ASV6
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

Yes, it would be really nice if someone could take over the development of Jon's tools.

I particularly miss the Simple Airport Scanner, which finds duplicate AFCADs.

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

@Bullfox: I tried to go to ScruffyDuck's page and download with Chrome - didn't work. Then I tried with Forefox, and that worked OK.

Jorgen

bullfox

Post by bullfox »

Jorgen,
I didn't realize that ADE was only up to P3D5 beta, but if it works, it works. My P3D6 installation is up to about one and a half terabytes with all the add ons, mostly from P3D5. A lot of the add ons started with FSX , have been updated, and still work great in P3D6 with only a few minor problems. So I think LM has done a really good job as custodian of the sim. I have stayed away from MSFS not only becasue I want to limit my Microsoft footprint, but also becasue of its starting point in FSX I have learned a few things about how P3D works and a little bit about how to manipulate it. I tried XPlane 12, but couldn't see the point to it.

Frankly, I was getting bored with the limitations of P3D5. But P3D6 is so much better, there is a lot more I can do with it, especially visually. However, when you have a problem, It helps when you can differentiate between problems with the sim, problems with the add ons, problems with Windows, problems with your computer hardware, and problems with yourself.
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

Bullfox, in so many ways we think the same way.

One difference, though, is that I prefer v. 5 over v. 6 (at least at the moment), because I feel (personal, opinionated opinion) that v. 6 has a kind of "blue sheen" to it that v. 5 does not have, and that I don't see when I look out the windows on an airplane.

And a total of about 2.9 TB of add-ons takes a while to port over also!

Jorgen

bullfox

Post by bullfox »

Jorgen,
I agree with you that 6 at high altitude, above about 20,000 feet especially, is too blue, and as you descend it stays too blue too long. But as you get lower, around 5,000 feet, it starts to look really good, better than I could ever get 5 to look even with various addons to address 5's short comings appetence wise. I never flew 5 much beyond Orbx areas. I have been flying 6 all over Canada the US and the Caribbean. There are an amazing number of add on airports for 5 that work in 6. I think there are still more add ons for 4 and 5 than for MSFS. I have not yet gotten to the rest of the world. Most of what I have done with settings in 6 has been attempts to reduce the excess blueness. Since I added Active Sky for P3D6 the clouds are so extensive it masks a lot of the blueness. So that's my partial solution.

I still have 5 on my C drive. Having 5 made it easier to move Orbx to 6. I have about one and a half terabytes in 5 in addition to what I have with 6 on the G drive.

I have to defer to you in your technical knowledge however. I think its a bit deeper than my technical knowledge.
freddy_

Post by freddy_ »

Woah. I was not aware that ADE was not compatible with P3D v6. I am still flying P3D v4.5 with HF3. I use ADE a lot. I have done hundreds of AFCAD changes and updates. Hours and hours and hours of work. I like to ensure my sim keeps up with real-world airport changes. ADE does that wonderfully for me. As an Australian, I have mostly worked on Australian airports, but I've also done plenty of Internatonal airports too. So, bascially, I can't do without ADE. Not to mention that ADE keeps my "most-flown-to" airports fully compatible with the latest Navigraph airacs and charts. And, keeping my sim current and up-to-date thanks to ADE is one of the main reasons why I never made the jump to P3D v5 or P3D v6.