Major FPS Down Spikes

Other problems or issues not covered by other troubleshooting topics.
pilotskcx

Major FPS Down Spikes

Postby pilotskcx » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:34 pm

Guys,

I'm posting this after I upgraded my PC and re-installed everything from new with all the latest versions. After several weeks of reading forum posts, watching videos, I cannot, for the life of me, figure out what is going wrong.

I've posted my PC specs and add-ons below.

The problem:

After loading up the sim sitting at an add-on airport with all the below listed items running, I'm getting anywhere from 50-70fps. Aircraft powered on in panel view I get roughly 30-50fps. Great by any comparison and silky smooth.

Now, I've been around FS since the first version and understand well micro-stutters, and the relationship between the sim and hardware.

When I start moving(taxiing), I get maybe a couple micro-stutters. Again, nothing out of the ordinary. For the most part, silky smooth.

As soon as I start my takeoff roll, my frames drop all the way to the single digits for a quick second causing a major stutter, or clipping. While in the air, they continue about every second. I've been anywhere from about 140fps to 4fps all in a micro-second and about every second after that causing major stutters.

I also noticed that the graphics quality tends to go down as well. I have not noticed any spike in temps across the hardware board either that could cause something like this.

I can usually average about 70 or more the entire flight but with those major drops every second.

I run the sim with frames unlimited, triple buffering, and VSync on. I've tried setting the Graphics card to G-Sync on and off with no luck. I've got my refresh rate to the lowest it will go (60Hz). I've also tried limiting the frames in the sim to 30. Again, no luck. I'm not overclocked either.

By all accounts it would seem like a refresh rate issue, but if that was the case, the lowest frame rate I would see would be 30, right?

Even if I didn't use Process Lasso to spread everything out across the cores, I would still have tons of overhead left over.

Note: Terrain is drawn in perfectly and sharp. My autogen distance is set to very high, but again, not causing any performance issues. I don't run reflections, just aircraft and cloud shadows and dynamic lights. Water detail is set to medium with no bathymetry. My P3d settings my most accounts would be considered medium to low. Most users I've seem run much higher setting with half the the PC specs I have and still can hold 60 SMOOTH fps.

I'm halfway suspecting a display driver issue, but not sure. Again, if you take out the FPS drops (or the cause of), I'm holding a great average for FPS, and in theory everything is running great and would be smooth.

Again, understanding it NOT about FPS, but about smoothness, I can't help but think in this case they're related. There's a bottleneck happening somewhere, and I can't seem nail it down. The problem is probably simple and right in front of my face.

If anyone can think of anything I haven't, I would greatly appreciate any advice.

Thank you very much.

PC Specs:
DELL ALIENWARE AURORA R7
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7K 8700K (6-Core/12-Thread, 12MB Cache, up to 4.7GHz with Intel(R) Turbo Boost Technology)
850W EPA Bronze PSU Liquid Cooled Chassis
NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GTX 1080 Ti with 11GB GDDR5X
32GB Dual Channel DDR4 at 2667MHz (2X16GB)
2TB M.2 PCIe x4 SSD
Alienware 34 Curved Gaming Monitor :WFHD 2560 x 1080 @ 160Hz (60hZ lowest)

Aircraft:
-PMDG
-QW

Scenery:
- Orbx: ALL including Vector/Lights/Trees. Secondary roads turned off as with some of the knows performance hits.
-FlightBeam, FlyTampa, PACSIM, Turbulent Designs, Imagine Sim, FSDreamteam, Aerosoft

WX:
-ActiveSky for P3Dv4
-REX SkyForce

Other:
-ChasePlane, VPilot(for VATSIM), PTA, SimStall, XSplit (Broadcasting), Process Lasso, NaviGraph (charts/FMS), PFPX-TOPCAT

Return to “Other Support Questions”