Outdated airport ICAO codes

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
britbear

Outdated airport ICAO codes

Postby britbear » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:49 pm

Hi there

I have noticed that P3D is apparently showing an outdated list of airport ICAO codes. For example

1. St Mawgan AB (EGDG) no longer exists as an airbase and since 2008 it has been a commercial airport called Cornwall Airport Newquay (EGHQ).
2. Froson AB (ESPC) in Sweden also no longer exists as an airbase and for many years has been a commercial airport called Åre Östersund Airport (ESNZ).
3. Johannesburg Airport is no longer called Jan Smuts (FAJS), but is now OR Tambo with code FAOR. Only FAJS is available in P3D.
4. Likewise Durban International Airport has moved from the old FADN to the new FALE. FADN still exists, I believe, in some capacity, but FALE is completely missing in P3D.

I find it odd that a product such as P3D which has been updated several times in recent years has apparently not updated its airport list. Is there a reason for this? And is there anything that can be done to fix it? Clearly all of the modern add-ons such as Active Sky and Project Fly use the current ICAO codes, so it can cause some trickiness when you have to search for an airport code on P3D that has not existed for several years.

Many thanks.

Bernie

Re: Outdated airport ICAO codes

Postby Bernie » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:15 pm

Hi,

Yes I have used the editors here http://www.aero.sors.fr/index.html to change an airport in Australia.
KInd Regards

Bernie.

supersonic_80

Postby supersonic_80 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:19 pm

The NAVDATABASE was never updated since FSX release. It is not just wrong ICAO codes. Airports closed, new airports opened, new runways, changed in ILS, etc.
All is not represented in P3D. Maybe in v5, v6 or never we will see an update.
The link from post before is freeware.
This one is payware:
https://www.fsaerodata.com/
That developer is also developing an option to add runways.

britbear

Postby britbear » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:56 pm

Thanks for the replies. I'm quite interested in the payware option. €19.50 is not bad a price for an annual licence and I like that it is linked to Navigraph's airac cycle, as I've just subscribed to Navigraph as well. I also like that it appears to be an automated process, whereas the freeware option (I'm guessing) seems to be more hands on and needing a bit of savvy.

Does anyone have any comments on fsAerodata and how well it works? Any issues?

What I don't understand is that I paid $199 for P3D earlier this year and for that money I did not expect to get a navigation database dating back to 2005 and frozen in time. I can understand it being like that with FSX, because MS pulled out of the market. Can someone from LM please explain why the nav database has never been updated? If fsAerodata have managed to find a solution, why can't LM? I'm not suggesting that LM should have introduced a licence option to update the database every month. But I would have expected a brand new version to come with an updated nav database as at the time of release. $199 is a significant amount of money to pay for a game/simulation compared to the options out there.

Thanks all.

britbear

Postby britbear » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:31 pm

From your replies I have now done some more research on this and I can appreciate a bit more of the complexity of the situation. I understand that it would be a big job for LM, although I would still posit that a consumer spending $199 on a product is entitled to expect more than a 13 year old nav database with no update solutions offered. Anyway, that's just my subjective 2 pence worth and I'll leave it at that...

Regarding fsAerodata can someone please advise whether it deals with the hard-baked data in the BGL files?

I currently fly Flight1's King Air B200. If I use fsAerodata am I going to have any problems with the aircraft's G1000 system (which is itself updated by Navigraph airacs)?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Return to “Prepar3D Client Application Questions”