Wakes not showing in V6

Discussion related to Mission design and creation.
jgnoci@gmail.com

Wakes not showing in V6

Post by jgnoci@gmail.com »

I have upgraded from Prepar3D V5 to V6. I now have the problems that in my boats, the wakes are no longer being displayed, whereas they are displayed in V5. I have compared the settings under Options\World between V5 and V6 and they are set the same.
One of the effects files I use has some wake at the front and at the back of the ship, and then wake coming out laterally (ie from the side of the boat). It also shows smoke. So in V6 all I see is the wake front and back and the smoke - no wake laterally. Other boats have only a lateral wake - so in these cases I see nothing.
Has something changed in V6 in this respect?
mpni

Re: Wakes not showing in V6

Post by mpni »

Hi
Same here with 6.0.28.30845 (V6.0 patch2), waves are too small.
World / Special Effect detail = high and distance = high.
Surface Wind 35 to 45 kt and also with 93 kt.
Regards
Michel
jgnoci@gmail.com

After a closer look I realized my original description is incorrect in that the effects file has both emitters for wake (aft, bow and centre) and spray (front and aft). So what is visible is the front and aft SPRAY. None of the three wake definitions are visible. In V5, all three wake sections and two spray sections are visible
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

P3D6-Personal-Patch 2 carrier wake

Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
jgnoci@gmail.com

I have generated the identical scenario - still no wake. Please could you let me have a screen capture of the Options-->World you have as it must be to do with the settings. I have used the SimObject veh_carrier01_high_detail_sm in this test.
jgnoci@gmail.com

Image associated with previous post
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Hello jgnoci ,

You previously mentioned:
“One of the effects files I use”

Best to return P3D6 back to a default setup and test again.
Best Regards,
seanmcleod

Post by seanmcleod »

Not specifically wake related, but why is there a large red cylindrical pole coming out of the carrier in the screenshots of both jgnoci and Martyson?
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

seanmcleod wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 6:41 pm Not specifically wake related, but why is there a large red cylindrical pole coming out of the carrier in the screenshots of both jgnoci and Martyson?
Hello seanmcleod ,

It is currently in P3Dv6.
Best Regards,
jgnoci@gmail.com

When I referred to 'One of the effects files I use.." that was using a different sim object. When doing the same test as yourself with the carrier sim object, the files used are unmodified from the V6 installation.
seanmcleod

Post by seanmcleod »

Martyson wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 6:44 pm
seanmcleod wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 6:41 pm Not specifically wake related, but why is there a large red cylindrical pole coming out of the carrier in the screenshots of both jgnoci and Martyson?
Hello seanmcleod ,

It is currently in P3Dv6.
Yep, I know that, my question is why would Lockheed-Martin place a large red cylindrical pole into their aircraft carrier model? Is it simply a bug that Lockheed-Martin QA didn't spot before release?
jgnoci@gmail.com

In fact, the sim.cfg for veh_carrier01_high_detail_sm does not specify a wake file under the Effects part on sim.cfg, so in that case (in my understanding) it will be using a default wake file
agfreeman

Post by agfreeman »

jgnoci@gmail.com wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2023 3:03 pm Image

I have generated the identical scenario - still no wake. Please could you let me have a screen capture of the Options-->World you have as it must be to do with the settings. I have used the SimObject veh_carrier01_high_detail_sm in this test.
I've got the special effects sliders all the way to the left, and the water detail all the way to the left and I do get wake showing. I did notice that sometimes it takes a while to generate when coming straight in to the sim. I'll try and recreate Vaughan's image now I have the GPS coordinates just in case it's related to that carrier
jgnoci@gmail.com

I have tried with those sliders all the way to the left, all the way to the right with no change. It does not seem related to this specific carrier as I have tried multiple sim objects. Note that this carrier will be using the default wake, whereas some of the others I have tried use a wake file (for example CargoA)
agfreeman

Post by agfreeman »

These are my settings: (I've sinced tweaked them, I just wanted to test what happened with everthing off when I posted originally).

If you load Helicopter Maneouvers 2 from the training, there is a carrier immediately to the left when you take off, and a couple of frigates.

It's worth noting that there is no wake immediately, it is only created when they start moving.