High CPU load and temperature with 5.4

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to the Prepar3D client application.
RAMMSTEIN

High CPU load and temperature with 5.4

Post by RAMMSTEIN »

Hi,

I recently upgraded from 5.3 to 5.4.
The first flights were without problems.
Yesterday I did ESSA-EDDF and just before EDDF I noticed that the simulator is running with low FPS.
I had 100% utilization in the taskbar, which I never had with P3D.
The CPU Temp (AMD 5800x3D) was at 90 degrees.
Normally I always had between 70 and 78 degrees, but never 90 degrees.
With V5.3 I never had such problems, CPU utilization and temperature were always normal.

I've only had this problem since V5.4

Do you have any ideas?
agfreeman

Re: High CPU load and temperature with 5.4

Post by agfreeman »

I've not noticed anything unusual like that. You could download 5.3 client and just apply that and see if anything changes.

From a hardware point of view, not a stuck fan or anything?
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Hello RAMMSTEIN ,

Are you using P3D default ESSA and EDDF airports?

Is your CPU water cooled?

How low were the FPS?

Do you run Diagnostics during your flights because you have had problems with your setup?
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
RAMMSTEIN

Post by RAMMSTEIN »

Here's my system:

AMD 5800x3D
32GB RAM
RTX 3080 12GB.

I've been since V5.1 and updated to V5.4.
Something is wrong with V5.4.

Yesterday I took the trouble to completely reinstall V5.4.
So old V5.4 completely deleted and completely reinstalled.
It's still not as good as it was under 5.3.
My problem is that P3D draws a lot of FPS, especially in the air, or causes a very high CPU load.
I don't understand why?
Yesterday I made EGNX-EDDF.
On the ground I have temps of under 60 degrees, when I go into the air it is 74 degrees, which is also ok.
But there are always peaks of 100% load and the temps rise to 90 degrees.
I usually have 82 to 88 degrees in the air, which is extremely unusual.
I also notice the whole computer is very sluggish due to CPU load.
eg. Does Navigraph or Volanta jerk when I zoom the map... All in all, the computer no longer feels smooth when I'm in the air with P3D.

In the end I'm happy when I land..

Shortly after landing in EDDF, I had temps below 65 degrees again and the load is also significantly lower.
What's going on there ???? It was always the other way around, when you were on the ground, the load was higher and in the air it was significantly less.

It's different for me, you're happy when you see the airport and land.
What I don't understand, how do I get my CPU up to 90 degrees in P3D ???

I only get these temps with Prime 95.
Cinebench runs at 74 degrees max... Or other games are always between 60-75 degrees.

MSFS around 65 degrees..
I have no thermal problem, my temps are perfectly fine.

I don't understand why I sometimes have 30 degrees difference in P3D... from 60 to 90 degrees.
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

1. Is your PC sitting on the floor - or close to it? Dust sinks down to the floor, of course, and then a PC acts as a dust magnet. So if it is on the floor, then you need to get it off the floor, and up at least about 30 cm. or more. Use a stool, a small shelf, an old chair, a stack of books - in other words, anything that will lift it up.

2. Have you cleaned out the case lately? Open up the case and blow out the insides with a can of compressed air. And have a friend hold a vacuum cleaner to catch the blown-out dust, there can be a lot of it! Clean the fans by holding gently with a finger and loosen the dust with a small brush, then - still holding the fan - use the compressed air to blow everything out.

3. If the case has the openings for it, maybe consider getting one more fan. Also take a look at the routing of the cables inside the case, maybe some can be bent out of the way where the airflow should go and held in place somewhere else with a tie-wrap.

Sorry if I just told you what you already have done, but a lot of people ignore this until too late. I do not see such issues myself, but then again I have a large case with several fans and a large CPU heat sink.

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
RAMMSTEIN

Post by RAMMSTEIN »

I wrote extra that I have no thermal problems :)
I've been building my own computers for 30 years and I'm extremely sensitive to dust :).
As a rule, one PC is blown through every 2 weeks.
It must always be clean, no dust to be seen.

I wanted to replace the thermal paste almost yesterday, but afterwards I found it pointless.
As I said, my temps are still quite normal in other games or simulators.
If you built your own PC and do everything yourself, then you'll notice if something isn't right.
As I said in Cinebench I can't get over 74 degrees. MSFS doesn't go above 65 degrees.. All perfectly normal.
I also have a Big Tower case from Cooler Master C700M... With 9x 140mm fans, AIO, etc. Everything is great, the temps are fine.

The PC is on the table :)

The problem is P3D :)
agfreeman

Post by agfreeman »

I'd agree it's P3D, the question is what though?

This is a shotgun approach, but I'd suggest renaming your Prepar3d.cfg file (to something like Prepar3d.cfg) and letting P3D build a new one.

Then delete your shaders files.

Just to see what happens. I had graphics issues with 5.4 that were just resolved by deleting the shaders. No problems since then.

Failing that run Delete Generated Files.exe in the Prepar3D folder. That will get rid of all the generated files. You may want to back them up first... but then if you are doing that, you might as well just rename them to go back to, especially if you have a lot of things configured.

All these files will get retained when you uninstall: that is why a clean install didn't work, unless you deleted them manually of course?
RAMMSTEIN

Post by RAMMSTEIN »

Yes I didn't just simply uninstall and install.
I deleted everything from LM manually... All folders, including those in the user area, e.g. local and roaming folders.
Only I left GSX , AIG.
Since I deleted all folders manually, a new P3D.cfg should have been created.
agfreeman

Post by agfreeman »

Very strange. Probably worth using that executable to delete all files.. just to try. I remember someone on here having an issue and they thought they deleted all the files but there was a 'hangar on'

I'm baffled by it all. If it's not that, Possibly it's creating the job scheduler incorrectly?
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

The easiest, and also the most thorough way of deleting "everything from LM" is to issue this command in File Explorer in the root folder on the disk where P3D was installed:

prepar3d v5

and then delete everything found. If the install drive is different from the C: drive, also do this on the C: drive.

There will be a few items on the C: drive that cannot be deleted, just leave those alone.

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
RAMMSTEIN

Post by RAMMSTEIN »

Hi,

me again :)

The problem persists. I deleted p3d.cfg file.

I still don't understand why the temps on the ground are 15-20 degrees lower than in the air.

On the ground I have temps of 55 to 60 degrees and as soon as I'm in the air the temps go up to 75 to 85 degrees.

I don't understand this difference, actually it should be less heavy in the air than on the ground
Aussie1234

Post by Aussie1234 »

I do have higher CPU temps, in the air, if there is a lot of clouds. (V6 plus Active Sky) I think I had that back in V5.4 as well. Back in V5.4 my core 0 was always at or close to 100% now, on P3d V6 my core 7 is the same. I'm happy with that. Gives more space for other stuff to run on core 0.
My GPU goes up to 100% in high cloud areas, or in haze, airborne.

Can you try backing off your sliders for clouds and see what happens? Sorry I can't help more.

Aussie
P3d V6: ProSim-AR B737 suite: Fully enc. 737 Cockpit:
ASky6: Orbx world: GSX2: Pilot2ATC: Open Cockpits & Simworld h'dware:
Ext view - 4 LCD monitors, 210' viewgroup from 1x RTX 4080 16Gb. Main i9-13900K MSI 64GB.
Ebertr

Post by Ebertr »

Wouldn't it be an option to check the cooling of the PC and improve it if necessary?

Ruediger
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Hello RAMMSTEIN ,

Just checking.
Is this your post in the Avsim forum?:
https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/6367 ... age-temps/

Have you tested a short flight with the default jet at the default airport without AI traffic or any other Add-on running?

The General Debugging Steps (by Chris Metel) :
https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopi ... 6&t=145777
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
Sabre57

Post by Sabre57 »

Have you made any changes to your settings in the SIM for 5.4?
How many monitors are you using and at what resolution?
I9-9900
32GB RAM
RTX 3090 FTW
Assorted SSDs and HDDs
3x55" TVs
Alpha/Bravo Honeycombs
SPAD.Next, ASV6