Orbx is planning on updating to support V6

For all topics that don't fit into another category. Note that we cannot promise that any of these posts will be responded to by our development team.
Sabre57

Orbx is planning on updating to support V6

Post by Sabre57 »

Orbx has, indirectly announced they will update their products for V6. Below you will find a quote from Anna Cicognani in the Orbx forums:

" We are definitely not forgetting any P3D customers, and that is official! 🙂
In fact, we are now considering and planning how to upgrade, refresh, rebuild, test, or relaunch (where necessary), and in no particular order, our P3D products. I do appreciate you all trying to make things work and the support that the community is providing in the meantime.
I have also spoken to LM to organise and (possibly align) priorities. Again I do appreciate your feedback and this community's support as we work through the planning."

Link to the post. Her post can be found about 2/3rds of thy way down on page 2:

https://forum.orbxdirect.com/topic/2188 ... v6/page/2/
I9-9900
32GB RAM
RTX 3090 FTW
Assorted SSDs and HDDs
3x55" TVs
Alpha/Bravo Honeycombs
SPAD.Next, ASV6
Tamba765

Re: Orbx is planning on updating to support V6

Post by Tamba765 »

I'll believe it when it happens. I'm not holding my breath on this.
Pete Locascio
Kalnon

Post by Kalnon »

That's why I'm using P3Dv5.4 for the forseeable future. They still haven't even made their scenery 100% compatible with P3Dv5. I think it will be a very long time before they update it for v6.

I'm also waiting for them to make their X-Plane 11 scenery compatible with X-Plane 12. I will never again buy a newly released flight simulator, I made that mistake with MSFS and still regret it to this day. I want to wait and see what kind of development happens for P3Dv6 before I decide if I want to upgrade. Give it a couple years and see what happens.
P3Dv5.4
Ryzen 5800X, Corsair 32 Gb 3600 Mhz, Sapphire Nitro+ 6900 XT
All time favorite aircraft: PMDG 747 Queen of the Skys V2, A2A Captain of the Ship B377 Stratocruiser, OZx Grumman Goose Redux
Aussie1234

Post by Aussie1234 »

I am one of the customers that has been waiting for Orbx to make a move. I thought they would say something firm back in July, and it is now September. I'm sure Lockheed included them on their progress way back.

After about 70 posts on their forum enquiring about what Orbx is going to do, all we got was that one paragraph saying they were 'considering'. Not a peep since. No update from Orbx.

It is annoying as all Orbx scenery has to be installed using Orbx Central. You can't download and install a package yourself. Your product is captured by Orbx. I have about 100 products in there.

I have used the 'discovery' tip to get the scenery working in P3d V6 but it is not perfect as Orbx also writes data into the 'terrain' file during installation. I think Lockheed has improved it's base texture files for speed and efficiency and I worry that I am overwriting them with older files slowing the sim down.

I guess Orbx will get around to it but their communication with customers is lacking.

Aussie
P3d V6: ProSim-AR B737 suite: Fully enc. 737 Cockpit:
ASky6: Orbx world: GSX2: Pilot2ATC: Open Cockpits & Simworld h'dware:
Ext view - 4 LCD monitors, 210' viewgroup from 1x RTX 4080 16Gb. Main i9-13900K MSI 64GB.
toorop58

Post by toorop58 »

Hello,

Aussie1234 wrote :
"It is annoying as all Orbx scenery has to be installed using Orbx Central. You can't download and install a package yourself. Your product is captured by Orbx"

I totally agree :

One particularly unfair behaviour of Orbx is to describe products as compatible with P3D V6 in Orbxfdirect writing you will need to use OrbxCentral to install the products while OrbxCentral still does not work for V6

I do not even know this can be considered as legal : the compatibility with V6 indication should be removed until OrbxCentral is available. Any lawyer here ?

toorop58

Post by toorop58 »

After insisting a lot, thanks to Nick Cooper, the V6 label has been removed by Orbx on their products for the moment :

https://forum.orbxdirect.com/topic/2188 ... nt-1843621

Everything OK now, waiting for Orbx Central to be compatible
Sabre57

Post by Sabre57 »

Since Orbx hasn't released an update yet I decided to take the plunge and install into V6 with the addon.cfg method. I was able to do this due to having my V5 install via the library method. My install doesn't include vector. I've found, for me anyway, that the scenery looks more realistic. Here are my observations as to what is more realistic:

- Freeway medians are actual medians, depiction of entrance/exit ramps just look better, lighting is better with P3d road lighting turned off
- Night lighting - much less ground glow, external lights on individual buildings,
- Autogen placement from a macro perspective, not exact of course
- Landclass and/or textures seems more accurate to me

So for me I'm keeping it installed on V6 and hoping that Orbx eventually provides an installer and product support. Even if I need to pay an upgrade fee, I'll do it.
I9-9900
32GB RAM
RTX 3090 FTW
Assorted SSDs and HDDs
3x55" TVs
Alpha/Bravo Honeycombs
SPAD.Next, ASV6
ReggieC

Post by ReggieC »

What is the "add-on config" method? I tried the instruction by the YouTube video and is messed my whole program up. Appreciate it!
agfreeman

Post by agfreeman »

Here's the link to the instructions. Scroll to a post by Larry_R on July 4th 2023. Its not too far from the bottom of the first page.

https://forum.orbxdirect.com/topic/2187 ... ancements/

May seem a little cumbersome, but it is straight forward.
bullfox

Post by bullfox »

I used the add on method and got it to work great. Basically you just put your scenery in an add on Orbx library for P3D6. But do read the linked thread all the way through. I had a problem getting my Orbx trees to display. How to do that if you have that problem is further down in the thread.
 Ryzen 7 5800X3D liquid cooled, over clocked on auto to 4.5 ghz, XFX 6900XT Black, 2 tb M2 drive, 32 gb ddr4 ram, Asus Hero Crosshair VIII mother board running P3D6.19 in Win 10
Sabre57

Post by Sabre57 »

It appears that Orbx won't be supporting V6. Here's a quote from the CEO in a post on the Orbx forums:

"The number of P3D customers who either have updated to v6 or are new to the sim world and using P3D are too few. You are all veterans here so you would have a good sense of how the numbers stack up. As disappointing as it may be, it is very hard to justify spending time and money making something which will sell a few dozen copies, especially when the expectation is to pay $25-$30 per copy. We did not abandon P3D, the customers have.

[addition] That said.... we are still hoping / planning / looking at options for v6, so no, we have not abandoned the platform altogether, just for the record."

Link to the post: https://forum.orbxdirect.com/topic/2201 ... nt-1849810

I9-9900
32GB RAM
RTX 3090 FTW
Assorted SSDs and HDDs
3x55" TVs
Alpha/Bravo Honeycombs
SPAD.Next, ASV6
agfreeman

Post by agfreeman »

Shame, but I'd guessed it would be happening. At least there is the work around. And Maybe there might be some more freeware coming along for P3D V5 from Orbx that can be shoehorned into V6 to work.
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

Sabre, that's not what I read into it.

Here's a further quote: "Absolutely we will keep P3D products available and when/where it makes sense, I will be very happy to introduce v6 new or updated products."

The whole thread is here:

https://forum.orbxdirect.com/topic/2201 ... ry-for-v6/

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
Sabre57

Post by Sabre57 »

JorgenSA wrote: ↑Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:28 pm Sabre, that's not what I read into it.

Here's a further quote: "Absolutely we will keep P3D products available and when/where it makes sense, I will be very happy to introduce v6 new or updated products."

The whole thread is here:

https://forum.orbxdirect.com/topic/2201 ... ry-for-v6/

Jorgen
Jorgen,
While it's certainly possible I think it's highly unlikely. Especially for the Orbx developed addons like global base. The numbers that they are looking at for P3D don't add up for them. However, I could see where some of their aircraft and scenery manufacturer partners could update for V6 and continue to sell them through Central.
I9-9900
32GB RAM
RTX 3090 FTW
Assorted SSDs and HDDs
3x55" TVs
Alpha/Bravo Honeycombs
SPAD.Next, ASV6
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

One problem that ORBX has is that some of their best developers are in the Ukraine...

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.