Cannot Update to V6.1.11

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to installing the Prepar3D client application or it's installer.
Sparky1

Cannot Update to V6.1.11

Post by Sparky1 »

Hi,
I have tried many times to apply the latest patch to my V6.1.9 installation but with no success.
It goes through all the motions and says it has been succcessful but it is'nt.
I am still left with V6.1.9.

My installation is in D:/Prepar3d V6/ and the patch installer "sees" it there, says it's going to update it, takes about 15mins or so, reports that it was
successful but I'm still left with the old version.

I have tried both auto update and manual installation.
I have tried "repair" also after successful reporting of patch installation.
I am using Admin mode.
Complete P3D dir. excluded from Win Defender.

Why is it not updating?

All help/suggestions appreciated.

TIA.
agfreeman

Re: Cannot Update to V6.1.11

Post by agfreeman »

I've had this issue. Check C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v6

I'll bet you'll find it in there. Mine is installed in D:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v6

I copied the files that were installed by the patch in the c:\ location re to the D:\.... folder and all worked.

Andy
Sparky1

Post by Sparky1 »

agfreeman wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:41 pm I've had this issue. Check C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v6

I'll bet you'll find it in there. Mine is installed in D:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v6

I copied the files that were installed by the patch in the c:\ location re to the D:\.... folder and all worked.

Andy
Hi,
Thanks for your reply, but no luck.

I don't have a "Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3d V6" folder, however I do have a "ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3d V6" folder but it isn't there either, unfortunatly.
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Have you previously edited the Windows Registry ?

For any software for any reason?
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell PP-ASEL (KDTW)
agfreeman

Post by agfreeman »

Sparky1 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:58 pm
Hi,
Thanks for your reply, but no luck.

I don't have a "Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3d V6" folder, however I do have a "ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3d V6" folder but it isn't there either, unfortunatly.
Glad I didn't put money on that!

The only reason I had a c:\ location was because I installed the SDK there. So when I went snooping for what was going wrong I found the patch files had been put in there
Last edited by agfreeman on Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sparky1

Post by Sparky1 »

Martyson wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:00 pm Have you previously edited the Windows Registry ?

Yep, of course I have, many times over the years...........

But I have a fair idea what I am doing and have never failed to apply an update to previous versions of P3D.

I forgot to mention that I un/re-installed V6.1.9 to it's present location in trying to rectify this problem.
So unlikely to be a reg. problem.
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

Sparky1 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:12 pm
Martyson wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:00 pm Have you previously edited the Windows Registry ?

But I have a fair idea what I am doing and have never failed to apply an update to previous versions of P3D.

I forgot to mention that I un/re-installed V6.1.9 to it's present location in trying to rectify this problem.
I see you had the problem in a previous post here:
https://prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 41#p268041
Best Regards,
Sparky1

Post by Sparky1 »

Martyson wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:18 pm
Sparky1 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:12 pm

I see you had the problem in a previous post here:
https://prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 41#p268041
Indeed, and as posted a simple "Repair" of the original installation resolved that problem.
But that's not applicable now.
mpni

Post by mpni »

Hi
Perhaps 6.1.11 needs first 6.1.10?
Regards
Michel
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

Personally, I would run a registry cleaner at this point. There might be a key or fifteen sitting around causing this.

Now, remember I started by saying "personally". This is what I would do myself, being ready to assume any and all blame for it, because you always run a registry cleaner on your own risk.

But then again, the one I use is pretty non-aggressive.

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
Rob McCarthy
Lockheed Martin

Post by Rob McCarthy »

Hello,

After updating how are you verifying what version is currently installed? Do you see 6.1.11 in the About screen? Newly released patches won't require previous ones to be installed beforehand. You should be able to update either 6.1.9 or 6.1.10 to 6.1.11.

Regards,
Rob McCarthy
Rob McCarthy
Prepar3D® Core Lead
Sparky1

Post by Sparky1 »

Sorted folks!

After un/re-installing V6.1.9 yet again and the update failing again (but reports successful, as before) I decided to "Take ownership" of the entire P3D folder and then applied the patch and 'Hey Presto!' it worked.

Will never fully get to grips with MS and their OTP permissions/security/UAC and all this, with me as the only user on the PC and obviously with full admin rights !!!

Thanks to all who took the time to reply.
mpni

Post by mpni »

Hi Sparky1
I did the same as you when I was unable to read the Pilot Records (or when the "Load" button started P3D directly).
Interesting to note that running the patch as administrator is not sufficient in some situation.
Regards
Michel
Martyson

Post by Martyson »

mpni wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:57 am Hi Sparky1
I did the same as you when I was unable to read the Pilot Records (or when the "Load" button started P3D directly).
Interesting to note that running the patch as administrator is not sufficient in some situation.
Regards
Michel
Hi Michel ,

This topic is about : Cannot Update to v6.1.11.

"unable to read the Pilot Records (or when the "Load" button started P3D directly)."
Does not sound like a Cannot Update to v6.1.11 problem?

Also, what does "Interesting to note that running the patch as administrator is not sufficient in some situation." refer to?
Best Regards,
mpni

Post by mpni »

The solution of giving rights to the P3D file can help resolve cases where several successive installations have not resolved the problem. For my part, this procedure helped me and since then I have no more problems with basic P3D and I hope that it will last.