P3D V5 doesn't runstable

Any issues, problems or troubleshooting topics related to computer hardware and the Prepar3D client application
tinaford

P3D V5 doesn't runstable

Post by tinaford »

Hello guys,

I installed P3D V5 today and cannot get it to run stable.

Performance wise it runs fine, but I am getting blue screens of death on a frequent basis.

I have a i7 3930K overclocked @ 4.3 and a AMD 7950HD graphics card.

The main message i got from the BSOD: "a clock interrupt was not received on a secondary processor"

Is there anyone having the same issue? How to solve it?
JorgenSA

Re: P3D V5 doesn't runstable

Post by JorgenSA »

Easy, you need a different graphics card.

The one you have has 3 GB of VRAM, 4 GB is the minimum required for P3D v. 5.

If the issue continues after you change the card to one with 4 GB, then you have a Windows problem, which is outside our scope of support.

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
shermank

Post by shermank »

Jorgen is correct about the VRAM….but, even a card with only 4Gigs leaves little headroom. I have an Nvidia 1660ti with 6gigs, which runs fine except for scenery intense areas. Even there I do not experience a BSOD, though the sim might freeze and require a reboot.
If I were inclined to replace the card I would go for one with 8 or even better 12 gigs VRAM.
As for overclocking, I frankly do not think it is necessary. I know this is controversial and those who do OC are passionate about it. But, my I7 CPU runs the sim fine at its default setting. Ithink that chasing for FPS above 30 is a waste and yields little if any visual difference.

Sherm
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

Sherm, overclocking the CPU is almost necessary, IMNSHO.

But overclocking a GPU (other than what various OEMs do) is generally a bad idea and can lead to instability, with very little effect to show in the running sim.

Jorgen
System: i5-12600K@4.9 GHz, ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-I motherboard, 32 GB 4800 MHz DDR5 RAM, Gainward RTX 3060 w/ 12 GB DDR6 VRAM, Windows 10 Pro.

All views and opinions expressed here are entirely my own. I am not a Lockheed-Martin employee.
shermank

Post by shermank »

JorgenSA wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 9:24 am Sherm, overclocking the CPU is almost necessary, IMNSHO.

But overclocking a GPU (other than what various OEMs do) is generally a bad idea and can lead to instability, with very little effect to show in the running sim.

Jorgen
Thanks, Jorgen..I have never successfully OC'd my CPU, but that may be because I don’t know what I am doing. 🫢
As for GPU, I agree.
As for OP's stated problem, I think he simply doesn’t have the headroom with only 4Gigs VRAM.

Sherm
JorgenSA

Post by JorgenSA »

Sherm,

What motherboard do you have?

Jorgen

tinaford

Post by tinaford »

Easy, you need a different graphics card.

The one you have has 3 GB of VRAM, 4 GB is the minimum required for P3D v. 5.
merge fruit
If the issue continues after you change the card to one with 4 GB, then you have a Windows problem, which is outside our scope of support.

Jorgen
Thanks for your answer. I got it